Lynn’s East Gate:
Kings Lynn’s South Gate in London Road is one of the most famous monuments of the town, but there existed another gate 200 years ago on the borders of King’s Lynn and the then village of Gaywood.
Lynn’s East Gate originally stood near what is now Dodman’s Bridge, near the college, in Lynn Road. Also known as St Catherine’s Gate, it was pulled down in 1800 because it was in poor repair and the arch was too low for carthorse traffic.
The gate was bought by the Ffolkes family, and rebuilt at Hillington Hall where it can still be seen as the gate house on the B1153 towards Flitcham. (see map)